Monday, July 21, 2008

Gore's challenge


Al Gore's speech on July 17,2008 was about how we can change the doomed path we are rapidly fallen in. He explains that if we are to follow his plan we can help reduce or at least slow down he damage we have done to our home planet. He explains that it is a challenge we must face that we as a people need to overcome. He says we don't always need oil to supply us with power. He says there are alternate fuels that can be accessed such as, solar power and wind power. He also explains that the northern caps are melting. This can cause the earth to flood. The ice is melting because of the heat that is extremely high. This is because, the ozone layer is damage because of pollution. If we use certain natural resources like the wind and solar power it will rapidly bring down pollution. He says we have less than 10 years to change.

I believe that he is right. The problem is that it is going to be hard to get the majority of people to take up his challenge. People are ignorant and worried about themselves. I think money is the only way people will listen. If the new resources are cheaper people will automatically help out even if their help was for their own gain. I feel it should be made a law to do some of the things in his challenge. Such as the use of the alternate fuels. Just to limit our use on carbon based fuels.

I honestly don't know what I can do to help. I could probably help more when I get older and use things on my own. The most I can do now is use energy saving supplies such as the new light bulbs. When they start coming out with more energy saving appliances and other things I'll gladly support them. For now I can at least try to convince people to change their bad habits. I can reuse things such as bottles and use tap water.The challenge isn't that hard all we need is leaders so people can follow.

No comments: