Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Power of the Quote


"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see"- Benjamin Franklin
This quote is confusing to me. If I have to guess what it means, I am to say it means to ignore gossip and everything you see may not appear to what it really is.Proof is the important factor to all things. Thats why religon can be questioned. Faith is something that can't be proved.
The first part of the quote says "believe none or what you hear..." People talk, that is a fact. What people say isn't always factual. People lie which means everything can't be true. After a while I realized that everything can't be believed. The quote is saying believe none of what you hear. Well no one can be 100% sure of what hey hear is true. Things can be possible and have a good chance of happening but that doesn't necessarily mean it is true. Even if I hear the same the same thing from multiple sources it may start sounding convincing but I may not know if they got their information from the same resources. After a while things start sounded different when it is passed around to different people. This leads to the possibility of personal twist and interpretations of the original truth. People tend to exaggerate or even hide important details because, they feel that is all a person needs to know.
The second part of the quote says believe half of what you see. I think this means that every thing may not be the entirety of what I'm witnessing. Take the picture above for example. What you see is a man in the air. What I don't know is how he got there. He could of done with his pure magic. You don't have to because I know I don't. He could be on strings walking on a clear platform or many other tricks. Another situation could be one day you walk around the corner and you see a man shoot another man and kill him. The thing you might think is the man doing the shooting is a criminal. What you don't know is why he shot him, where he get the gun from and was it on purpose or is it even real. There could be many possibilities for example, the man could of shot him because he is a undercover cop defending himself from the man he was possibly wielding a deadly weapon or the man could of got the gun from the man he shot from tussling with him and the gun could of went off or you could of just walked on a movie scene and what you had seen wasn't even real. So basically Benjamin Franklin is saying only believe half a what you see.

One quote that I feel is powerful is
"Goals determine what you're going to be"- Julius Erving
This quote means that the goals you create determines the decisions you make which leads to different outcomes in life. I feel
this quote is powerful and could be inspirational to anyone who understands it. It reminds me of a peice of playdough. If you don't have at least a idea of what you want it to be it will misguided and will end up a peice of nothing unless you get lucky. I feel goals are motivation and if you know what you want and how to do it, it would be a lot easier and less stressful. This quote is important to my everyday life because my goal is to finish school and to finsh school I have to do my work and get decent grades. So I do my work and I plan to finish school soon.

2 comments:

Garnett said...

seeing a guy get shot around the corner I would never think of what you said in that moment but that is something I can think about.

chris J said...

good.